So, you finally scored a brand-new pair of Yeezy Boosts.
Nicely done, sneakerhead!
You can now walk with your head held high knowing that you’re one of the elite few who got their hands – correction, feet – on a pair of the most sought-after kicks in the world. Get ready for constant head-turns and excessive compliments.
Maybe you’re rolling in the Yeezy 350 Boost v2 Triple Blacks, a classic choice. Or maybe you scored the Triple White Yeezy Boost 350 v2s, always stylish. Better yet, maybe you’re holding out for the soon-to-be-released Yeezy Boost 350 v2 Zebra.
No matter what style Yeezy Boosts you’re wearing, there’s a good chance you’ll never want to take them off. Hey, there’s no shame in sleeping in your Yeezys. But just because you rock those Yeezy Boosts 24/7, doesn’t mean you want them to look like it. Right?
You want those new Yeezy Boosts to stay looking new. You could do this by only wearing them on pavement, like Kanye claims to do. But what’s the point of owning a pair of brand-new Yeezy Boosts if you can’t show them off, pavement or not…?
I’m here to tell you that you don’t have to limit your Yeezys to asphalt-only locations if you learn how to clean them. With some help, you’ll be able to rock those Yeezy Boosts everywhere you go AND keep them looking pristine and clean. But let’s be clear – cleaning Yeezy Boosts is NOT the same as cleaning those old Reeboks in the back of your closet. After all, Yeezys are elite for a reason – they are one of a kind and deserve one of a kind care.
Follow these specific instructions and you’ll be able to confidently rock those Yeezys on any surface knowing that you can get them back to looking brand-new in no time.
Note: If you’re more of a Jordans fan, read this article on how to keep them Js squeaky clean!
Instructions for Cleaning Yeezy Boost
Before cleaning Yeezys, you’ll want to invest in a few specific products to make sure that you don’t damage them.
You Will Need:
- Your very own Yeezy Boost 350s or 350 v2s
- A shoe cleaning kit. We recommend using Sneaker Aid.
- Shoe cleaning brushes: (The recommended sneaker cleaning kit includes all the brushes you need)
- One hard bristled brush
- One soft-bristled brush
- Several clean cloths. Sneaker Aid cleaning kit already includes a Microfiber cloth that’s perfect for wiping and drying shoes. But if you need more make sure they’re clean and ready to use.
- Carefully remove the insoles and laces from your Yeezy Boosts. Place laces and insoles aside for now.
- Fill a bowl with half lukewarm water and 2 – 3 squeezes of a cleaning solution. You can use Sneaker Aid as recommended above. Or any other brand you prefer.
- Start with the sole:
- Wet your hard-bristled brush in the water/cleaning solution and start scrubbing the soles of your Yeezy Boost. Don’t be too reserved – you can really use some muscle when scrubbing the soles.
- Continue to frequently dip your brush in the water/solution mixture so that you aren’t adding dirt to your soles and to ensure you have enough solution on the brush.
- BE CAREFUL NOT to touch the delicate Primeknit of your Yeezy Boost with the hard-bristled brush.
- Use a clean cloth dampened with warm water to rinse and remove all excess cleaner and dirt from the soles.
- Empty and rinse the bowl that you just used.
- Move on to the Primeknit of your Yeezy Boosts:
- Refill the clean bowl with cleaning solution only.
- Wet your soft-bristled brush with warm water and dip into the solution.
- Place your hand inside your Yeezy Boost and use it to support the fabric while you scrub gently with your soft-bristled brush. Quickly work your way around the entire shoe, frequently dipping the brush into the solution. Rinse your brush under the faucet from time to time in order to avoid adding dirt back to your Yeezy Boost or the bowl of solution. Repeat the same process with the other shoe.
- Place your Yeezy Boosts in a cool place to dry. Avoid direct sunlight or heat, extended exposure will probably damage your pair.
- While your Yeezys dry, work on your laces.
- Empty and rinse your bowl and refill with half lukewarm water, and 2 – 3 squeezes of a cleaning solution.
- Place laces in the bowl and soak for approximately 20 minutes.
- Use your soft-bristled brush to gently scrub laces after they have been soaked for around 20 minutes.
- Once your Yeezy Boost is completely dry, place your insoles back in, lace them up again, and go turn some heads with your crisp brand-new looking Yeezys!
Yeezy Boost Protection (Optional)
Once you start cleaning your Yeezy Boosts on a regular basis, I highly recommend taking the proper precautions to safeguard them from the elements. It’ll cut down on the frequency that you have to clean them and you’ll be able to walk through grass and asphalt alike with the confidence that you won’t ruin your kicks.
Simply coat the surface of your Yeezy Boost with one of the following water-repellent sprays to keep them uber-protected:
Are you in a hurry to get your Yeezy Boosts looking fresh? No time to hand-scrub your Yeezys?
Well, if you’re in a pinch and willing to take the risk, there is a faster route to getting your Yeezy Boost kicks looking fresh – but keep in mind, it’s riskier and won’t get your Yeezy Boosts look brand-new comparing to the method that was mentioned above.
In-a-Pinch Method to Clean Yeezy Boosts
Your washing machine isn’t just for cleaning your clothes – you can use it to clean your Yeezy Boosts too. But DO NOT just toss your Yeezys into the machine and press start – follow the steps below to keep them as safe as possible.
What You’ll Need:
- Your Yeezy Boosts
- Washing machine
- 3 Garment wash bags or pillowcases
- Laundry detergent
- Carefully remove the insoles and laces from your Yeezy Boosts – insoles SHOULD NOT go into the washing machine. Place laces inside a wash bag or pillowcase and gently knot it closed so that the laces do not escape and get tangled.
- Using your hand or a soft cloth, remove as much mud and dirt from the soles of your Yeezy Boosts as possible. You don’t want dirt to get trapped in the pillowcase and stain the Primeknit of your Yeezy Boosts.
- Place one Yeezy Boost in a pillowcase or garment bag. Place the other Yeezy Boost in a SEPARATE pillowcase or garment bag. That’s right, one bag for each shoe. Place the pillow cases or garment bags inside the washing machine.
- Add a small amount of laundry detergent to your washing machine – less than half of what you’d usually use.
- Set your machine to COLD. High temperatures will melt the soles – BIG MISTAKE.
- Set the cycle to gentle and press start.
- Once the cycle is done, remove your shoes and laces and let them dry for at least an entire day before re-lacing and showing off your refreshed kicks.
Personally, I’d never throw my Yeezys into the washing machine – BUT, in a pinch, it can do the job.
So, there you have it. By following the instructions above, you can wear your Yeezy Boosts wherever life takes you and keep them looking as fresh as on that unforgettable day when you scored them.
Stay tuned to our blog for more details about confirmed releases, tips for copping upcoming Yeezy releases, and all other sneaker news.