The Air Jordan 1 is the most epic, fashionable, and iconic sneaker in history! And so, in this guide, youâ€™re going to learn how to lace Jordan 1 sneakers in three different epic ways! Why you may ask? Well, the greatest part of a sneaker flex is having a unique sneaker flex. And, although you can find tons of ways to style your Js, lacing them differently is BETTER.
But, before we get into this step-by-step guide on jumping rope with the Jumpman, we gotta set some ground rules.
1. The Jordan 1 is a relatively large Jordan. So, you have to keep that in mind!
2. The Jordan 1 Highs come with 9 eyelets, the Mids with 8, and the Lows with 7
3. Youâ€™re going to need either 63 inches or 72 inches flat laces (maybe you got some for Christmas!)
Before you learn how to lace Jordan 1 sneakers, you have to make sure you got the RIGHT SIZE. If theyâ€™re too big, youâ€™ll run the risk of having a creased toe box. And, although you can always learn how to remove creases out of your kicks, itâ€™s not worth the risk.Â
However, if theyâ€™re too small, you wonâ€™t stand wearing them too long to flex them, to begin with. And sure, you can try to stretch them out and it might work. But, why go through all that? JUST GET THE RIGHT SIZE. Click on the button below to find your perfect Jordan fit and avoid the heartache!
HOW TO LACE JORDAN 1 SNEAKERS
So, in this guide, youâ€™ll be learning how to lace Jordan 1 sneakers like a fancy-pants sneakerhead. But, for this particular guide, weâ€™re going to be using HIGH top Jordan as a reference. However, you can still apply these 3 techniques to the other models as well. You can refer to the diagram above for the eyelet number for a step-by-step guide. So, for Mids or Lows, just stop at the 8th or 7th eyelet respectively!
You can also go for ANY shoelace color you want, mix and match. Go for different laces on every foot. And, you can even fit two laces per eyelet if you want if youâ€™re feeling EXTRA!Â
PS – the AGLET is the plastic or metal tip on your shoelaces. Just so you know!
#1 COZY LAZY WAY
The first style on how to lace Jordan 1 sneakers is the cozy lazy way. This is the best technique for tying your Js that will guarantee a flex. But also, this method ensures your Jordans wonâ€™t need too much care and repair in the long run. Hereâ€™s how to do it:
1. Pull the aglets through (1) and make sure the tips of the laces are even. Go from the outside to the inside towards the tongue
2. Then, start from the inside towards the outside
3. Criss-cross through the eyelets to do the usual â€śNo-thrills, no-frills” method but keepâ€™em loose
4. Make sure you go underneath and all outside laces go over the top. From (1) on the left to (2) on the right, from (2) on the left to (3) on the rightâ€¦Â And, vice versa
5. And, keep turning the laces to make them lay flat
6. And, repeat
7. Once you reach the 6th eyelet, you can go through the tongue tie or not – personal preference
8. Finally, when you reach the 8th eyelet, leave about 2 inches of the laces hanging from both sides. Or, you can lace them!
And so, thatâ€™s how to lace Jordan 1 sneakers in the COZY LAZY method! Also, at this point, you can pull the laces all the way to the bottom to make them even. You can definitely go all the way to the 9th eyelet if you want, but thatâ€™s not really cool. And, why choke the tongue? Itâ€™s one of the best features of the Air Jordan 1!
#2Â CROSS & LOOSE
Another method on how to lace Jordan 1 sneakers is the CROSS & LOOSE method. This one is similar to the first method but totally different at the same time. Itâ€™s a modern take on an otherwise classic way to tie up your Js! This is a definite laid-back kinda look that gives you that IDGAF vibe! Try it out!
1. Repeat step one from Method #1
2. From (1) go to (3) – skip the 2nd eyelet – on both sides
3. Then, from (3) go to (5) – skip the 5th eyelet – on both side
4. Keep skipping an eyelet on every loop and repeat
5. When you reach the 9th eyelet, tie a lazy bowtie
6. Finally, pull the laces out slightly to give it an even more loose fit!
For this method, you can also stop at the top 2 eyelets if you want. This means you leave eyelets (8) and (9) untied. Itâ€™s different and pretty cool. But, donâ€™t expect it to have much grip – hence the importance of the sizing!
#3 BAR LACES
Finally, weâ€™ve got the last style on how to lace Jordan 1 sneakers – the BAR LACES. This is also a way to lace your Jordans without pulling them too tight. Thatâ€™s the thing you should focus on regardless of how you choose to tie your Js! But, this method just happens to look and feel the cleanest!
1. Repeat step one from method #1
2. For this method, you have to run your shoelace STRAIGHT ACROSS from the outside
3. From (1) on the right, go to (2) on the right from the underside. Thread it through (2) on the left side
4. From (1) on the left, go to (3) on the left from the underside. Thread it through (3) on the right side
5. Repeat the same pattern until you reach the 8th eyelet. This means:
Â Â Â – From (2) on the left go to (4) on the left from the underside. Thread through (4) on the right. Repeat to (6) and then to (8)
Â Â Â – From (3) on the right go to (5) on the right from the underside. Thread through (5) on the right. Repeat to (7)
6. Tie the extra lace or slip them into the insides of your Js!
And thatâ€™s our final method on how to lace Jordan 1 sneakers in three different ways! Pick whichever one suits you the most! Do it your way and find your style. And, check out this list for all things related to Jordans!
The 2022 Jordan Release Calendar
Guide on Cleaning Your Air Jordans
Where to Buy and Sell Used Jordans
The Evolution of the Jordan Shoe Box